HERB - Herbal Soap Scents

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Wed Dec 15 11:27:19 PST 1999

Well, one of the problems with "fragrance oil" is you never know what's IN it!
It's regulated like perfume, so "Rose fragrance oil" doesn't have to contain
any actual rose extracts at all, but can be cooked up in a chem lab.  With
essential oils, you have a pretty good idea what's in the little bottle (by
law, herbal extracts in a carrier oil).

Fragrance oils, too, are more likely to cause allergic reactions in sensitive
people -- who may or may not be allergic to the herb being simulated.

-- Katherine Blackthorne, who has only made soap once, but likes to play with
fragrances.