HERB - Pregnancy questions

John+Lynette lklc at prodigy.net
Sun Dec 26 11:00:38 PST 1999

Christina,
First be sure you clear any herb with you health care provider when
pregnant.  Because even though you will be avoiding those who are know to be
dangerous during pregnancy there may be other things that crop up as part of
you pregnancy say,the potential for pregnancy induced high blood pressure
for which a herb may be problematic.   The Following list of herbs to
absolutely avoid come from a reference prepared for health care
professionals.
Professional's Handbook of Complementary & Alternative Medicines, (1999), By
Fetow, C. W. and Avila, J. R. Both are Doctors of Pharmacy,  The Publisher
is Springhouse.
Aloe (Aloe vera), arnica, barberry, common , betel palm , borage, bloodroot
, burdock, butterbur, catnip, celandine, celery chamomile, chaparral ,
chicory,colts foot , comfrey,  damiana , devil's claw, feverfew,  garlic,
ginger , goldenseal, gotu kola,  hawthorn, hops,   horehound (black and
white), hyssop, jaborandi tree, Jamaican dogwood, juniper, licorice, madder,
male fern,  mayapple, meadowsweet, milk thistle, mistletoe, mother wort,
mugwort, mustard, myrrh, nettle, nutmeg, papaya, parsley, passion flower,
peach, pennyroyal, plantains, pokeweed, poplars, prickly ash, Queen Ann's
lace ragwort, raspberry, rauwolfia, red clover , rue, saffron, sage, St.
John's wort, sassafras, senega, senna, shepherd's purse, skullcap, skunk
cabbage, squill, tansy, turmeric, vervain, watercress, wild cherry, wild
ginger, willow, wormwood, yarrow.
For brevity sake I have only included the most common name of the herb.  If
you have specific question please ask.  As you may guess some of these are
common foods that may be OK in their whole food form.  Lets discuss as we
look at individual items more closely.
Remember the BEST thing you can do for yourself and baby is early prenatal
care
Congratulations!