HERB - Re: Sore muscles (and some comfrey)

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Tue Feb 2 16:03:24 PST 1999

At 6:43 PM -0500 2/2/99, Mary Temple wrote:

>I'll pass along a caution I was given...juniper oil is VERY irritating
>to the kidneys, even when used topically. As a diabetic with no known
>kidney problems (yet), I was still advised by a local professional
>herbalist to steer well clear of juniper oil.

And so many Dutch drinking gin....(I'm Dutch, parents fresh off the
boat. Love gin, but only mixed. Stuff is vile straight up.)

The information that I have says that Juniper berry oil from
Juniperus communis can be safely taken in infusion, one teaspoon
of the berries crushed, steeped in one cup boiled water, taken
morning and evening for a period of up to five weeks. The reason
for stopping at that time, or even sooner, according to my
literature, is that common juniper may cause excess elimination of
albumin in the urine, along with other disorders.

Perhaps your herbalist professional was refering this fact to
you because you have Diabetes insipidus, which is characterized
by the sheer amount of urine produced by the body regardless
of the fluid intake (or lack thereof)? That would be my rather
uneducated guess as to the caution your herbalist pro gave you.

If anyone has more up-to-date scientific information, that would
be fantastic. But for now, once a month topically is most
certainly less likely to kill me than the sheer pain of walking
and bouncing the wrong way.

Jasmine, jasmine at infoengine.com