HERB - Sassafrass

RoseThstle@aol.com RoseThstle at aol.com
Sun Feb 7 17:52:04 PST 1999

In a message dated 99-02-07 20:34:35 EST, wd9get at amsat.org writes:

<< In the early 1960s, safrole (a volatile oil that is the majority of what
 gives sassafras it's characteristic flavor) was discovered to be
 carcinogenic in rats and mice. In it's infinite wisdom to protect American
 rats and mice, the FDA banned sassafras bark, sassafras oil, and safrole
 from use as flavors or food additives >>

Good heavens, I was digging sassafras up and making tea from it while I was
growing up.. my grandfather had a cup a day.  Good stuff too.

What have they been using for subsitutes since the ban?