HERB - Feverfew

mermayde@juno.com mermayde at juno.com
Tue Feb 9 08:51:04 PST 1999

>Not having seen either the original nor a translation of the original
>recipe,  my gut reaction is to say arugula sounds right.....HOWEVER, I
would
>like to Point out safest is not a valid reason for ignoring the use of
>feverfew since it has been used for centuries to treat headaches and
migraines. More
>importantly, feverfew is also somewhat bitter, which would seem to me
>to be a plus for a what you describe as a bitter-sweet sauce. The most
>interesting thing about feverfew is quote: "A scientific study of
Feverfew was
>published in the British medical journal The Lancet in 1988. The
72-person study
>showed that two months of treatment with feverfew was associated with a
>reduction in the average number and severity of migraine attacks
experienced. A
>REDUCTION IN THE DEGREE  OF VOMITING during the attacks was also noted.
There
>were no serious side-effects reported in this study. ""
>Hmmmmmm......
>Ras

While this seems more appropriate to the herb list, I am glad to say that
I can personnally concurr on the effects of long-term use of feverfew.  I
have been using it for approximately 2 years to combat migraines, and it
works so well that I went over a full year without one.  I got slack in
taking it everyday however (roughly 100 mg daily) and had 2 doosies over
Christmas (one lasted for almost 2 full weeks!  OUCH!).  I am back on it,
and don't forsee forgetting that particular supplement anytime soon.  It
has indeed been in use for centuries, and is specifically mentioned in
Greek texts (Dioscoridies, I think) for migraine treatment.  A  word,
however, on treatments (pre-packaged) that claim feverfew will help out
with a headache in process - absolutely not.  Feverfew works by
supporting cerebral blood vessel tone, which keeps the excruciating
constriction of said blood vessels from occurring.  It took about 2 or 3
months of taking it daily for it to become fully effective.
( I had one weird almost-migraine during that time, it felt like one was
trying to start, but never did.  That same experience was reported to me
by a friend who also started taking it.)  It doesn't help one in
progress.  I have also read work by Dr. James Duke, corroborrating the
fact that there are no known long-term side effects from taking daily
feverfew.    I have never eaten it, but I was having a discussion with a
customer at the health food store I work in regarding the benefits of
bitter herbs.  Her statement (which goes along with other things I have
read) was that the bitterest herbs make the best medecine.  In other
words, If it tastes bad, it must be good for you!  (Not always true, but
certainly holds true for some of the best herbs - echinacea, goldenseal,
etc.)
Mistress Christianna MacGrain