HERB - Re: Urine for clothes

Mike and Pat Luco mikel at pdq.net
Sun Feb 14 06:02:05 PST 1999

I don't remember if I read this or heard it at a weavers guild meeting, but in
the MA they used to collect urine in the ale houses for washing and setting the
colors in wool/flax.  During these times the populace were encouraged not to
eat strong veggies (like garlic or onions) to keep the urine pure and not foul
smelling.  The urea is a natural sufactant and mordant that helps set the
colors into the fibers.  Thankgoodness for modern alchemy (chemistry) for
helping us to be able to color our clothes without taking collections from the
neighbors.

--

Henri and Antea
Kingdom of Ansteorra, Barony Stargate