HERB - Herb Class Help Needed

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Feb 16 08:46:29 PST 1999

 Ok, gang, I have a class I need to put together, and I thought I would
run it by you to get some input.  I have been asked to teach a class at
basically 3 different events coming up (the first time is this weekend, I
know, and yes, I usually do procrastinate like this :p).  The first event
is a Cooking Event,  the second one is a local group's event, and they
want  'something different', and the third is a lecture to a bunch of Cub
Scouts and Weebelos at a jamboree.  The Scouts have a theme of survival
in the wilderness, and will have someone talking about edible plants.
They have asked me (or rather, a protege of mine who is involved has
asked me) to do a 20 minute or so talk on herbal medicine in the Middle
Ages (I guess the SCA is helping out, and working themselves into the
wilderness theme).
	So, I am beginning to coalesce this idea for a class, that
includes: Safe, edible plants;  used medicinally in the Middle Ages;
growing here in the New World as well.  With examples.
	Mint comes to mind right off.  Cover medieval uses, plant
structure (recognizeable characteristics), and have a few sample stems to
pass around.
	 Chamomile.  Parsley.  Garlic.  Sage.  Rosemary.  (I'm doing this
list off the top of my head, and will consult other resources, but, any
other ideas?)
	Now, talking to the Scouts will be easy, I can cover the stuff
they will recognize easily.  I will need to get more in-depth for the SCA
classes, and obviously, the restriction of it also growing here is not as
important (although it would be nice to be able to get examples readily).

	Whew.  It helps just to put it all down and have it start to come
together.  Any ideas will be helpful.  I will be checking my email
tomorow quickly before I'm off for the weekend, but feel free to toss
this one about, as I have 2 more chances to refine this one this Spring!

	Thanks for letting me think out loud, and for all your great
ideas in advance!
	Mistress Christianna MacGrain