HERB - Clove Gillyflowers

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Sun Feb 28 17:33:04 PST 1999

>>How do you think that they'd do indoors?

>	I've never tried them.. If you have a really bright window they may
>be okay.  my instinct is that they really like the cooler weather and
>probably like it outdoors.

Sorry to be slow on this, I finally found my copy of Tusser and notes I took,
but lost the original messages in this thread.  Tusser lists sops in wine in
his list of plants to grow in pots, which are translated as clove pinks
(Dianthus caryophyllus).  I think this is what is meant by clove gillyflowers,
but he also lists several types of gillyflowers, which are translated as
wallflowers rather than any of the Dianthus.  This is REALLY confusing <G>.
But the good news is that both appear to do well in pots.

Now, I need help.  In the same list, Tusser mentions corn marigolds, which are
supposed to be Chrysanthemum segetum.  Unfortunately, it doesn't show up in
the herb books and catalogs I've checked, and I haven't been able to figure
out what these are.  Corn poppies are Papaver rhoeas, which is the only guess
I could make.  Any one know what a corn marigold is?

Thanks!
Raisya