HERB - travelling herbs

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Wed Jan 13 07:43:03 PST 1999

When travelling in the middle ages, what, if anything, would
people typically take with them in terms of herbs? I've a few
scanty references to Plague treatments specifically
designed for travellers. And the writings of Aristotle
that I've been reading from the website I posted earlier
talks about things to look for when travelling or moving,
but I've not really found much by way of something you
might keep in a medieval dop kit.

Perhaps people didn't require much when they travelled?
Perhaps they picked it from the side of the road?
Perhaps they purchased it from the local herbalist?

I've looked a little bit in Vegetius as well, with hopes
of finding references from the perspective of what a
soldier might carry with them, but nothing there. What
about the authors of medicine texts who were soldiers?
I've forgotten the author's name, but I remember a book
roughly translated as "On Chirurgy", I think, that
might contain some information. (Chauliac? Chaluic? grrr,
I hate having my library at home.)

Ideas, anyone?

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm
jasmine at infoengine.com or gwalli at infoengine.com