HERB - Cold and Flu class notes

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Jan 27 20:42:04 PST 1999

>Whole leaves will last a full year, ground herbs turn to sawdust within
>a few months.

	Do you really think so?  I have kept ground herbs in air-tight
containers for much longer than that.  They do loose their umph faster
than whole, but I think 'sawdust' is a bit harsh ;)

>Golden rod - drying, astringent, phlegm-reducing, anti-inflammatory
>for mucosa

	Golden *rod*?  Not Golden seal?

>Ginger citrus drink - wonderfully soothing for sore throats, helps
>with nausea, and helps to reduce symptoms of congestion.

	This sounds great.  I will denfinately have to try this one.  I
just got introduced to a Honey Ginger syrup from one of our distributors
today.  It would go with the fruit part of this quite nicely, I think.

>Horehound Cough Syrup

	This sounds disgusting, like most Horehound recipies I've seen :P
 It would be great, without the Horehound!

>Chicken Soup
>
>1 - 2 to 3 pound organic chicken, washed well
>5 to 10 cloves of garlic
>5 shredded carrots
>5 sliced potatoes
>1 large onion chopped roughly
>Other vegetables as desired: squash, mushrooms, celery, cabbage, etc.
>2 bay leaves

	Sounds great, until you get to this part:

>Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh jalapano peppers (more or >less
as desired - you want a goodly heat to encourage your nose to run >but
not enough to corrode your stomach!)

	Boy, are your ideas and my ideas of comfort food different!  I
bet not many Jewish mothers used this part of the recipie!  (Not that I'm
arguing the effectiveness, but, they don't make it that way around here!)

>Add 1 roughly chopped tomato.  Heat through.  Squeeze in the juice of >1
large lemon and any fresh chopped herbs desired.  Add salt and >freshly
ground pepper to taste.  Serve it forth!

	Why the tomato?  I am inclined to think rumbly tumblys and not
want tomato, but it would be a good source of acid to cut mucous, I
guess.  I have done lemon chicken soup for colds before, and it is nice
for the anti-mucousal properties.

	Looks really good, glad you had fun, and thanks for the notes!

	Mistress Christianna MacGrain