HERB - Rosemary

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Thu Jul 1 13:53:15 PDT 1999

>It supposedly is tough to grow in containers yet I had a CA neighbor
>who grew it in barrels with roses.  It doesn't like acid.

Hmmm...refresh my memory....

IIRC (hah!), roses like either basic or neutral soil, correct??  If so,
then rosemary, which doesn't like acidic soil, will grow well with them.

(BTW, does anyone have the book Roses Love Onions, and its sequel?  Just
when I went to buy, they vanished!  Does anyone feel like giving me a
spot review, if you have them?)

Anyway, my point: it was shown to me rather graphically that dogwoods
deposit calcium into the soil.  If you are in a zone where dogwoods can
grow, you might want to plant a few calcium-loving herbs at the base.
Remember, if you have a dogwood tree, to be careful!  There is still a
tree disease floating around that's killing dogwoods if they're in wet
shady areas.  The ones in sunny, semi-dry areas will survive, but be
gnarled.

-Caro (went to the serpentine barrens, and stepped onto the surface on
the moon - serpentine soil is weird!!  Then, one lone dogwood tree, and
the microenvironment changed wherever the leaves had fallen!)