HERB - Re: lavender

Jan Ward hawksbluff at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 17:46:32 PDT 1999

My lavender is just now going into bloom. I have two
varieties - short stalks and long stalks. Does anyone
have information on making lavender wands from the
long stemmed kind? The information I had said to bind
the stalks, then fold them over and weave a thin
ribbon up the length, but I can't seem to visualize
that.  What part ends up inside- the naked bottoms of
the stem? and does the ribbon go all the way to the
top and cover up the flowers, or does it stop
half-way? Does anyone have a picture of a finished
wand, so I know what I should end up with?
Thanks,
Edwinna
P.S. I live in Southern California, about 1500'
elevation, near the desert. We can hit 115 in the
summer. Occasionally freezes in the winter. My
lavender is growing in the shade of a large mulberry
tree. My rosemary also gets shade at least part of the
day, and seems to appreciate it.
E.