HERB - OT: Bird seed questions?

Darlene Vandever blaan at flash.net
Fri Jul 2 08:31:05 PDT 1999

DianaFiona at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/1/99 12:34:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LKLC at prodigy.net
> writes:
>
> <<
>  Can you eat them?  The seeds that is.
>  - >>
>         Sure! A lot of bird seed mixes are heavy on millet--

Dear Folks,     I'm not so sure I'd want to do that.  Bird seed is not as
carefully cleaned prior to bagging and contains lots of dust, small rocks and
pebbles, and probably a larger than normal dose of pesticides.  Some types of
birdseed are sprayed with sprout inhibitors which I doubt I'd want to ingest on
any regular basis.  Some brands contain "squirrel inhibitors" which can range
from capsicum to other more exotic laboratory chemicals.  Other brands include
small rocks and sand deliberately to help aid the bird's gizzards with digestion
and still others may or may not spray their seeds with a fungicide.  All in all,
unless I had nothing else to eat, I think I'd leave the bird seed to my feathered
friends.

Annes