HERB - Henna shades

Darlene Vandever blaan at flash.net
Sat Jul 3 08:38:51 PDT 1999

Dear Folks,

I liked this whole piece except for one tiny part.

Lynette K LaFontaine wrote:

> To prepare herbal oil for the hot oil treatment, simmer one cup of the herb
> in one pint of oil for about thirty minutes.

If you "simmer" the herbs aren't you french frying them??  I would think that
would be way too hot to 1) not evaporate away the essential oils you are trying
to extract and 2) denature any thing that does come out of the herb.  When I
make an oil extraction using heat, I heat the oil to about 120-130 degrees,
remove it from the heat, add the herbs and let them sit for about 30 minutes.
Perhaps I misunderstood your use of the term "simmer"?Annes