HERB - herbs - heeelp there's a monster

Jan McEwen jmcewen at hawaii.edu
Sun Jul 4 11:03:35 PDT 1999

>I have a parasite invading my herbs.  It looks like orange string.  It
>seems to have no root and does not seem to attach anywhere.

This sounds like dodder, a parasitic weed.  I'm at home and all my
horticulture books are at work, so I haven't got a solution for you at
this moment.  In Hawaii, this is used to make a lei and is prized.  I
don't know of  too many people who try to get rid of it.

At the very least, remove it when you see it. It does produce flowers
(inconspicuous ones) and seeds, so by removing it at least you will keep
it from reproducing as well as keeping it from removing nutrients from
your plants.  I'll post further info when I get back to my office on
Tuesday.

Catriona Stewart

Jan McEwen, Urban Horticulturist, Urban Garden Center, Pearl City, Hawaii
UH/College of Tropical Agriculture/Cooperative Extension Services
SCA: Catriona Stewart of the Glens, Barony of the Western Seas, Caid
Internet:  jmcewen at hawaii.edu