Plant superstitions was Re: Concerning rosemary: (was Re: HERB - lavender)

Darlene Vandever blaan at flash.net
Tue Jul 6 09:04:45 PDT 1999

> What other plant superstitions do people know?
>
> Melandra

M'Lady,  That is a tall order for me.  I have a  number of books and sources
concerning folk tales and superstitions and outright magic.  My favorite is
"GardenSpells:  The Magic of Herbs, Trees and Flowers" by Claire Nahmad.  It is
a collection of Victorian garden "magic" and superstitions but I suspect the
roots go back much further into the periods we are interested in.  One of my
favorite passages in this little book (88 total pages) is the "Charm for sowing
seeds" from page 35 in the chapter on the mythology of flowers.  As you sow your
seeds you are supposed to repeat this rhyme.
I drop these seeds in Christ's good name,
Pray Sachiel bid them rise again;
I call upon the fairy host,
On Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
Bless each one with hearty growth
Banish death, disease, mishap and sloth.
God bless the soil, God bless the seed,
New moon, new moon, God bless me.
God bless this house and family!

As you can easily see, it appears to be a blending of earlier pagan beliefs
layed over with a patina of Christianity.  I find it "charming"  :)
Annes