HERB - Re: Plant superstitions was Re: Concerning rosemary: (was Re: HE

liz@maryvillecollege.edu liz at maryvillecollege.edu
Tue Jul 6 04:26:20 PDT 1999

One that I like is "The Mystery and Magic of Trees and Flowers" by
Lesley Gordon.  Has a nifty Bibliography and is charming.
Elizabet

Violet is for faithfulness
Which in me shall abide;
Hoping likewise that from your heart
You will not let it slide;
And will continue in the same
As you have now begun,
And then for ever to abide,
Then you my heart have won.
William Hunnis, 1597 (probably)

> Date:          Tue, 06 Jul 1999 09:04:45 -0700
> From:          Darlene Vandever <blaan at flash.net>
> To:            herbalist at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject:       Re: Plant superstitions was Re: Concerning rosemary: (was Re: HERB - lavender)

> > What other plant superstitions do people know?
> >
> > Melandra
> >

> M'Lady,  That is a tall order for me.  I have a  number of books and sources
> concerning folk tales and superstitions and outright magic.  My favorite is
> "GardenSpells:  The Magic of Herbs, Trees and Flowers" by Claire Nahmad.  It is
> a collection of Victorian garden "magic" and superstitions but I suspect the
> roots go back much further into the periods we are interested in.  One of my
> favorite passages in this little book (88 total pages) is the "Charm for sowing
> seeds" from page 35 in the chapter on the mythology of flowers.  As you sow your
> seeds you are supposed to repeat this rhyme.
> I drop these seeds in Christ's good name,
> Pray Sachiel bid them rise again;
> I call upon the fairy host,
> On Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
> Bless each one with hearty growth
> Banish death, disease, mishap and sloth.
> God bless the soil, God bless the seed,
> New moon, new moon, God bless me.
> God bless this house and family!
>
> As you can easily see, it appears to be a blending of earlier pagan beliefs
> layed over with a patina of Christianity.  I find it "charming"  :)
> Annes

Mrs. Elizabeth Anderson
Campus Database Administrator/Webmaster
Information Systems and Services