HERB - Sage

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Mon Jul 12 07:42:45 PDT 1999

Alan,

Jadwiga's right, sage is pretty sturdy and doesn't usually have many pest
problems.  It will depend on exactly where you live, but it does very well in
most areas of the country, I believe, as long as it has well drained soil and
lots of sun.  Here, in SE Texas, my plants do just fine in full summer sun,
I'd recommend at least 7 or 8 hours of sun a day.  It can also be invasive,
I'd recommend a small, enclosed raised bed.

They don't need much feeding, I just spread a little compost around the
plants and give them a foliar feeding with a fish/seaweed fertilizer every
few months.  A little balanced organic fertilizer once a year would also
probably be fine, but you'll want to much with something that will decay to
help keep up the organic content of the soil, especially if you don't use
compost.  I wouldn't water too much, unless you're in a really hot climate,
only water when the soil is really drying out as long as the plant looks fine.

Once the plant is thriving and growing well, it really needs to be kept cut
back to stay at its best, and after 3 or 4 years, you may want to replace the
plant.  It's supposed to root easily from cuttings.

Hope this was what you were looking for!
Raisya