HERB - Sage

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Tue Jul 13 07:11:40 PDT 1999

Pryden asked nicely:
>Hot pepper wax???  Tell me more, pretty please? ;-)

Hot pepper wax insect repellant. I did not order it directly through
the company, instead ordering it from Real Goods (via their
website at www.realgoods.com) because I get a discount with
Real Goods. . As luck would have it, they
have their own website:

http://www.hotpepperwax.com/

And here is the description of their product from their
main page:

           Welcome to the Hot Pepper Wax Website!

            Finally, an environmentally responsible Insect and Animal
            Repellent for Fruits, Vegetables and Ornamental Plants! The
            conscientious gardener will appreciate that Hot Pepper Wax is
            completely biodegradable and contains no harmful chemicals.

            Hot Pepper Wax controls and repels insects on fruits &
            vegetables right through harvest day. It protects fruits,
            vegetables, flowers, trees & shrubs, even citrus, for up to 3
            weeks. Hot Pepper Wax also controls and destroys insects and
            insect larvae: aphids, spider mites, whiteflies, lace bugs,
            leafhoppers, cabbage loopers, and beet armyworms.

             Hot Pepper Wax is a patented combination of hot Cayenne
             Pepper, other natural repellents and a highly refined food
             grade wax that makes the pepper stay put. remaining effective
             for up to three weeks.

I've used it quite successfully to treat most of the evil nasties that
they list here. I've also used it to (pardon my ignorance here)
treat that powdery coating problem that happens with my mother-
in-law's rose bush/tree. They have a variety of products for
discouraging other pest types as well, including geese and moles
and gophers, and if I'm not mistaken, you can order all of these
products via their website by contacting them directly:

           To place an order, or check the status of an order: LISA BLACK,
           724-646-2300, 1-888-667-3785 (toll-free), FAX 724-646-2302

However, i've never ordered directly from them. As I mentioned
before, I ordered their insect repellant from Real Goods and you
may need to order from someone like them instead if HPW only
sells to companies or to wholesalers.

If you're curious about the safety, they've kindly posted the MSDS
(Material Safety Data Sheet) at their website and they have an
FAQ page to answer your questions. These are located at:

http://www.hotpepperwax.com/TECH.html  (the MSDS)
http://www.hotpepperwax.com/FAQ.html   (the FAQ)

Hope this helps!

Jasmine