HERB - cordials

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 13 09:27:25 PDT 1999

>IIRC, I've read in several places that in period the rose was a very
>different species.  Something similar to what we refer to as the wild rose.
>The rose of today is a hybrid, all of them.

Most antique roses are considered antique if they were developed before a
certain date which I don't have in front of me.

There is not one rose that is the Rose though.

In the Middle Ages you have what are considered species roses.

Eglantine  - Rosa elglantina
Damask -  R. damascena
Apothecary - R. centifolia (I think - this is from memory so someone
correct me.)
Dog or wild rose - Rosa carnina - this one has nice rose hips

to name a few.....  Most species roses are white, red or pink.

When the China roses started being introduced is where we started getting
the wide variety of types and colors.  The chinas had the first yellow rose
as well at that time.  The biggest thing about China Roses is that the
blooms change color.  I have one called Mirabilis (or the Butterfly Rose)
which is a simple (5 petal rose)  The blooms range from pale creamy yellow
to pink and peach to dark pink to blue red.  It's quite lovely.

I lost my eglantina rose due to last years' drought and the drought
severely damaged one of my Chinas (Ducher) but I highly recommend the older
roses for durability and scent.  They have smaller flowers but a much
sweeter scent and you wind up being fascinated with the history of roses
and how they came to be.....

Clare