HERB - fabric stores and allergies

J.Spiritstone spiritst at prairie.NoDak.edu
Tue Jul 13 11:45:12 PDT 1999

I don't know how much you know, so I apologize if I'm being redundant.
Also, things may have changed a great deal since I was learning about
this kind of stuff, so it may be out dated.

>From what I understand, most fabrics have a light coating of "sizing"
when you buy them. It makes them fold up nice and stand on a bolt
without slumping (for the most part). Sizing is often the reason our
grandmas will vigorously rub the edge of the fabric against itself to
get a good feel because it breaks down the sizing like a washing machine
would.

Anyhow, some sizing still has formaldehyde in the recipies (to protect
the fabric color) along with other chemicals that people can have
allergies to. Discount and foreign made fabrics often seemed to be a
little worse than everything else, and therefore I would suspect that
discount stores might trigger more allergies.
Ya Samee'nah