HERB - Old roses, was cordials

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Jul 15 07:02:18 PDT 1999

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Katherine Blackthorne wrote:
> Remember, roses, raspberries, and blackberries are all closly related
> members of the same family.  (This bit of knowledge helped explain why
> roses with poor perfume always smelled like raspberries to me.)  So while
> we all know that the original roses were 5 petaled, and have all seen the
> painting of the Tudor rose, we can also use the humble raspberry flower for
> comparison.

Actually, though the flat single rose as appears in heraldry was certainly
cultivated in period, a cursory search through horiticultural sources
shows that both double and multiple roses were also grown (yeah, I went
and looked it up), and that those forms were bred before period (at least
by the end of the Roman period).

I suspect that the idea that 'the only period rose is a single rose' is a
myth of heraldry that has spread into SCA culture. (Hey, it's fair; SCA
culture comes up with all kinds of heraldry myths.)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)