HERB - Old roses, was cordials

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Fri Jul 16 09:47:15 PDT 1999

>>Actually, though the flat single rose as appears in heraldry was certainly
>cultivated in period, a cursory search through horiticultural sources
>shows that both double and multiple roses were also grown (yeah, I went
>and looked it up), and that those forms were bred before period (at least
>by the end of the Roman period).
>
>I suspect that the idea that 'the only period rose is a single rose' is a
>myth of heraldry that has spread into SCA culture. (Hey, it's fair; SCA
>culture comes up with all kinds of heraldry myths.)
>
>Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
>jenne at tulgey.browser.net
>"in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
>(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)

Except, my lady, that I had heard this long before finding the SCA, so I
couldn't have picked up the myth there.  Must have found it mundanely.

Your "horticultural sources" are obviosly better than mine....and I'm
curious about anything that dates roses to the Roman period.  (End of it or
otherwise.)

--Katherine Blackthorne (her nose twitching at a new source of information...)
Golden Rivers, Cynagua, The West