HERB - Old roses

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Jul 15 08:26:46 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/15/99 2:20:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
corwynsca at juno.com writes:

<<
 >It's always made me wonder what would come up from the root stock (a
 >thing I've always been told must *never* be allowed to happen).

	Oh, it's not *that* big a disaster! You can come up with some very
hardy roses that way--but do keep in mind that they are like not to be very
spectacular. If they were, they wouldn't be used just as rootstock, after
all. And don't do it if the grafted rose is one you want to keep. My
impression is that, even if the grafted rose is still living, the rootstock
will more than likely get most of the nutrients, etc., causing the grafted
plant to do poorly or even die. I could be wrong on that score, but I
wouldn't want to risk it with a grafted rose I was fond of.
	Of course, I've been ignoring grafted roses for years, anyway, in
favor of own-root roses. I get mine from Heirloom Garden Roses in Oregon--a
wonderful company with a huge selection that includes quite a few period
roses. I have about four so far, if you don't count the Apothecary's Rose
that is spreading like mad to try to engulf the red and the pink Floribundas
left of my trials with modern roses. If I can lay hands on my catalog, I'll
post the contact info. (Anyone else have it?) I think my aunt has it, though,
from ordering me a couple of plants for my birthday. (Grin) *Nice* aunt!

				Ldy Diana