HERB - Soothers for children

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Thu Jul 22 21:22:47 PDT 1999

>Skullcap will soothe.

Yes.  I have a "hysterics-calming" recipe that calls for it, but I don't
know where I got it -- possibly one of my mother's German tea bags.  When I
check my various sources, they tend to be pretty quiet on this herb.  I've
become very cautious in using it because I don't have that much information
about it and it seems quite strong.

Last time I had to use that tea was a couple years ago. As I was making it
up, I realized my skullcap stock was about 8 years old, and looking very
dry, pale, like herb that has sat on the shelf too long and lost its
virtue.  So I doubled the amount.  (We're talking fractions of a teaspoon,
here.)  Either I'd misrememberd how well the tea worked, or the skullcap
had gotten stronger.  The woman who drank it was not able to drive home
that night.

What can you tell me about working with skullcap?

--Katherine