HERB - methyl salicylate problem research (long)

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Fri Jul 23 16:57:05 PDT 1999

I was aware of some mild cautions with Wintergreen & Birch, but was under
the impression it was for extreme quantities.

On an anecdotal level, I grew up in NYS.   Wintergreen grows wild in the
woods there, and when hiking we (meaning literally everyone I ever met)
would pick a leaf and chew it for a while, then spit it out.  You knew it
was time to spit it out *when your tongue went numb* and you could no
longer taste it.  About half an hour later, you'd look for another one.
--Katherine