Fw: HERB - Cough medecine: was Herbs & Things:Jeanne Rose's Herbal

Lynette K LaFontaine LKLC at prodigy.net
Fri Jul 23 11:41:15 PDT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Lynette K LaFontaine <LKLC at prodigy.net>
To: <herbalist at Ansteorra.ORG>
Sent: Friday, July 23, 1999 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: HERB - Cough medecine: was Herbs & Things:Jeanne Rose's Herbal

> Katherine, neither one of these is consistant with what I have.  I have
the
> german formula It is yours i wanted.   Thanks for sending it
>
> I also commend you for mentioning toxicity.
Pennyroyal is an abortifacient and comfrey is a suspected carcinogen when
taken internally.  Historically
> Pennyroyal was used in French cuisine in small amounts ins sauces.  In
these
> small amounts it is probably relatively safe if done infrequently.  In
large quantities it has been know to cause convulsions.
Although both these herbs have been used internally in the past and either
in small infrequent amounts are probably relatively harmless there are other
herbs that
> are safer and effective way of accomplishing the same thing.  It is my
perception that people turn to herbs because of their perceived safety.  So
why bother with something that is even suspect, when there are other safer
methods.
Pennyroyal     is an effective and safe bug repellent.  Sew some into a
pillow for your pet's bed to combat flees, in a non toxic manor.  Use
pennyroyal on your skin to combat mosquitoes.  Plant it where pesky bugs are
a problem.
> Comfrey, contains allantoin a chemical that is destroyed by heat, (so
don't boil). Allantoin speed healing of all kinds of wounds when used
topically and is safe for this purpose.  The root contains the most and the
root , a rhizome, multiplies so don't be afraid of destroying the plant.make
a poultice.  You can grind it in your blender and apply directly, or if
you've dried it reconstitute in water (not hot) first.
As for pennyroyals taste.  I accidently got it mixed up with a culunary herb
and put it in hamburgers they were minty and I actually got compliments.  Oh
well I guess it's what you mix it with.
Herbal

Pennyroyal,