HERB - Safety of Valerian?

Lynette K LaFontaine LKLC at prodigy.net
Mon Jul 26 14:24:27 PDT 1999

Jenne Heise asked:
 Can anyone give any information about the safety of Valerian? I have heard
 that the whole herb tea will produce a digestive reaction I'm seeing young
people taking valerian capsules on a nightly  basis for insomnia. Is
valerian strong enough to be dangerous?
The valpotriated that are in valerian act as tranquilizers.  However, they
produce fewer side effects than Valium.  And  unlike Valium and other
tranquilizers it can be safely used with alcohol.   It does seem to help one
fall asleep faster, but can also reduce one's performance.
Large doses can cause vomiting, stupor, and dizziness.
I personally, don't recommend continuos use over a long period of time
because it has been my understanding that such use can lead to depression.
But if it does; stop.
Generally it seem pretty safe.  Don't drink gobs,  and if you have a need to
use it for a long time then I would suggest that you start looking for the
underlying cause of the problem.
I'd be curious to know why young people should need this  especially
nightly.