catnip and valerian, was Re: HERB - Re: Sleep Aids

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Thu Jul 29 16:09:58 PDT 1999

>Kathleen Keeler wrote:
>>

>> But even catnip is only active on about 80% of cats.
>>
>I have been following this with interest but I have to share this.
>
>In my life I have had dozens of cats.  I have 12 right now.  I have
>never had a cat that wanted anything to do with catnip.  I grow it for
>tea and they just ignore it.  Catnip toys don't interest them either.
>Is this weird or is it just my imagination?
>
>Ginger

The source I read some time ago (no, I don't remember it) said only 50% of
cats like catnip....(Not trying to contradict, just kind of seconding the
research.)

I've given catnip to two of my cats.

One was about 8mos. old, female, and I don't know whether she was fixed.
(Stray, we hadn't discussed *that* issue with the vet yet, since she didn't
go out.)  If you offered her catnip (the fresh stuff from the herb shop,
never the old stuff that comes in catnip toys) she'd pretend she wasn't
interested...would never dream of being so undignified...really, was going
to sit here and completely ingnore it....(sniff)...Not interested...(sniff,
sniff)...never cared for the ....OOOOh, see the little birdies and
fishies!!!!!

The other cat (old fixed male) REALLY couldn't care less.  You'd offer it,
he'd obediently look at it, sniff it, pat it (nope, it didn't move under my
paw) then look at you as if to say, "Now what?"  It really didn't affect
him.  He couldn't figure out why I thought he should care.

--Katherine Blackthorne