HERB - Fw: Re: A matter of herbs

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Jun 3 07:46:59 PDT 1999

Agnes,

No, the name "Holy Roman Empire" was a later conceit by German rulers :).
While he controlled most of Europe to some extent, Charlemagne was much more
north-western European, his capital was in Aachen, Germany.  Charlemagne's
influence and memory lingered longest in France and Germany, and I believe
this is exactly the area that the Vikings would have been most familiar with.
 Now, a few of the plants would NOT have survived in Scandinavia, and I'm
sure the Scandinavians had plants essentially unknown to other areas, but I
just said that knowledge of the list wouldn't be unreasonable for a
Scandanavian herbalist of 1000 AD.

Hope this helps!
Raisya