HERB - Fw: Re: A matter of herbs

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Jun 3 14:54:11 PDT 1999

Agnes,

Haven't a clue on several of your points, I'm not an herbalist or even
western European, I just mentioned the one source I had that might be of some
use.  My knowledge of Charlemagne is a by-product of my fascination with
gardening, it's probably got the best documented early gardening in Europe.
I can say that while his list includes some southern plants, it also includes
many better suited to the northern climate.

I'd love to hear more from some of the herbalists, I'm completely out of my
depth as far as the transmission of knowledge about herbal medicines, etc.
Seems reasonable to me that in the raids, including monasteries, that the
Vikings would have come in contact with the Carolingian herbal traditions.

Raisya