HERB - Fw: Re: A matter of herbs

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Fri Jun 4 06:12:06 PDT 1999

> Haven't a clue on several of your points, I'm not an herbalist or even
> western European, I just mentioned the one source I had that might be of some
> use.  My knowledge of Charlemagne is a by-product of my fascination with
> gardening, it's probably got the best documented early gardening in Europe.
> I can say that while his list includes some southern plants, it also includes
> many better suited to the northern climate.

Two other sources to try as a beginning might be "Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft"
(which is a summary) and Strabo.

However, I suspect I may have a book that would help you if I could read
it-- it the Anglo Saxon Herbarium, and a friend gave it to me for
Christmas, but I haven't learned Old English well enough to read it yet!

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"