HERB - soaps

Moonshadow doroket at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 18:28:06 PDT 1999

My Dear Rhiannon,

I just came on (9pm) and read your request for
Lavender soap.  I didn't know it was good for acne
but I do know that we use it alot and none of us has
any skin problems!!  I would love to give you my
recipe which won me an excellent at Kingdom A&S (she
says modestly), My first ever entry at Kingdom
level(hee hee)

3 cps fat(lard works best, don't scrimp here, get the
best)
1 cp distilled water
1/4 cp+2 tbs. lye (red devil)
Glass measuring cup     Glass mixing bowl   Vaseline
Candy thermometer       8x8 glass baking dish or mold
Wooden spoon
Generously grease baking dish or mold with vaseline,
set aside.  Add lye to water in glass measuring cup,
stir carefully, cool to 90o.
Melt fat, heat to 120o, stir occasionally, scraping
sides of pan to get it all.
Check temps, when ready immediately pour fat into
glass mixing bowl, slowly add the lye.  Mix well until
some runs off the spoon and lies in a ribbon on top of
the mixture.
Quickly add rest of the ingredients then pour into
glass dish.  Let air dry 24 hours then wrap and keep
in dark place for about a month.

Other ingredients can be any flower with added oil to
enhance fragrance, such as lavender or rose.  about
1/4 cup flower petals torn and a few drops of oil.  I
prefer a strong aroma so I shake the bottle 6 or 7
times!

Oatmeal is great, just grind it up in the blender or
food processor until you get the texture you like.

Peppermint leaves and oil make a refreshing soap and
turns out very white.

Cinnamon soap is period and makes a good scrubbing
soap.

Experiment and have fun.  I wish I could send you some
now for your kids but the last 3 bars I have are at my
laurels house!

HUGS Rhiannon, love, Dorothy