HERB - Rabbit Recipes

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Mon Jun 7 20:44:01 PDT 1999

Greetings, especially to Lord Ras!

While I dug up pickle recipes, look what else I found!  They may not be
period, but since they're *old* PA Dutch, I'm assuming they were at least
redacted from recipes brought over on the boats.  The book's a reprint of
an 18th century cookbook.

Enjoy!  -Caro

Fried Rabbit: Cut a dressed rabbit into pieces for frying, soak in salt
water 8 to 10 hours.  Take out of water, drain and roll in flour.  Place
in hot skillet containing lard or butter (about 1/4 cup), cover and fry
to a golden brown, turning frequently,  Season with salt and pepper.  To
make gravy, take rabbit out of pan and put on a hot platter.  Stir into
the hot fat, 1 tbsp. flour.  Add 1 cup water and cook until mixture is
thick.

(I'm assuming hasenpfeffer is a known recipe - if I'm wrong, ask me, and
I'll post it.)

Hasen Kucka (Rabbit Cake): 1 rabbit, potato filling (again, if you need a
recipe, ask), 1 &1/2 cup rabbit broth, salt, pepper

Wipe dressed rabbit with a damp cloth; barely cover with water to which
1/2 tsp salt has been added and cook covered until tender (1 1/2 to 2
hours).  Separate meat from bones and cut into small pieces.  Butter a
casserole and put a layer of potato filling in the bottom, then a layer
of meat.  Add 1 tbsp of sauce (made by combining the flour seasonings,
and broth and boiling until sauce is thickened and smooth).  Repeat
layers until dish is filled.  Bake at 350 deg. F 25 min, or until
browned.  6 servings.

There's also a Rabbit Pie, but it has tobasco  - still want it?

-Caro