HERB - Pickle Recipes

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Mon Jun 7 20:51:05 PDT 1999

Greetings!  Finally dug out some recipes....

Now, if there are any questions about some of these recipes, *please*
eamil me - a few I had to redact!  (How many people know what a "5-cent
jar of mustard" is anway???)   -Caro

Bread & Butter Pickles

4 qt. sliced cucumbers, 6 tsp. salt, 5 c. vinegar, 4 c. sugar, 1 tsp.
dark brown sugar, 1 tsp. celery salt, 1 tsp. mustard seed, 1/4 tsp. curry
powder

Combine salt and pickles, let stand 5 hours or overnight.
Wash and drain them.  Combine vinegar, sugars, celery salt, mustard seed
and curry powder.  If it's too strong add 1 cup water.  Bring to a boil.
Add sliced pickles and heat 4 minutes.  Do not boil.  Put on jar and
seal.   (Betty Yeager)
Freezer Cucumber Pickles

7 c. sliced cucumbers, 1 c. diced onion, 1/2 cup chopped celery or 1 &1/2
tsp. celery seed, 1 3/4 to 2 c. sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper,
1 c. white vinegar

Mix cucumbers, onion and celery together in large bowl.  Mix sugar, salt,
pepper and vinegar together but do not heat.  Pour this mixture over
cucumbers.  Put in refrigerator.  Stir everyday for 4 days.  Put in
containers and freeze.  (anon.)
Bread and Butter Pickles

1 gal. cucumbers, 8 small white onions, 2 green peppers sliced, 1/2 c.
salt

Syrup: 5 c. white sugar, 5 c. vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp. tumeric, 1/2 tsp.
ground cloves, 2 tbsp. mustard seed, 1 tsp. celery seed

Wash cucumbers, do not peel.  Slice crosswise (thin slices).  Slice
onions thin and cut peppers.  Miz salt with the 3 vegetables and bury in
ice cubes and water.  Let stand for 3 hours.  Drain thoroughly, then mix
with pickling syrup and cook for 15 minutes.  Seal in sterile jars.
(Eleanor Hill)
Dill Pickles

10 qts water, 2 cups salt, 1 qt. vinegar, 2 tbsps. peppercorns, 5 stalks
dill, 1 1/2 pecks cucumbers

Make a solution of the first 4 ingredients and bring to boiling.  Fill
crock with cucumbers, placing dill between layers of cucumbers.  Add the
hot solution.  One onion, sliced, or a clove of garlic may be added to
the boiling liquid, if desired.  Cover crock and let stand in a cool
place several days before using.  If preferred, cucumbers may be
preserved in sealed jars.   (Sadye's recipe)
Now, I'm not even supposed to *have* this recipe, but what's the use of
letting it die?

My Great-Aunt Edna Schaffer's Sweet Pickles
(if you're feeling generous, anyone making a big batch of this recipe
could send me a few jars - I'll pay postage)

Makes 4 qts.

100 tiny cucumbers, 4 cups vinegar, 1 cup water, 2 cups sugar, 3 tbsps.
salt, 1 level tsp. allspice, 1 level tsp. cloves

Scrub & drain pickles, pack them into sterilized jars.  Mix vinegar,
water & sugar; bring to a boil & simmer, adding salt and spices until
thickened to a syrup.  Fill jars to overflowing with syrup.  Wait a month
before using.
Is this what you wanted???