HERB - Re: [herbalist V1 #282]

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Tue Jun 8 09:39:11 PDT 1999

On 8 Jun 99 06:11:48 PDT Jennifer Guyton <jenniferguyton at netscape.net>
writes:
>Hi..My name is Lady Caitlyn MacKenzie and I am recently getting into
>more
>natural remedies and cures. Since I am un-familiar with them..can
>anyone send
>me info to get me started? Such as the differences between decotions,
>steeping, etc. Also, Id like to know where I can get the herbs.
>What my goal is, is to have alternative cures for everyday illnesses
>and have
>them onhand. So..basically, Im a newby to this art and want help and
>teachings.
>Thanks in advance...
>Caitlyn

Caitlyn,

My standard suggestion to anyone who is new to herbalism is that they
begin with ornamental or culinary uses (with herbs available in the
grocery store) while familiarizing themselves with the differences
between common names and latin names of herbs, learn some of the history
of herbalism, some general botany, and get to know the plant families of
the major herb groups.   It isn't necessary for everyone to become a
garderner and grow their own herbs, but a working knowledge of what is
involved in herb growing, harvesting and processing is certainly
desirable.

Cosmetic uses follow, with due consideration of potential skin
irritations and undesired side effects.  Medical herbalism is a more
advanced topic, and not the best thing for an uninformed beginner to jump
into.  Although experienced herbalists often exchange information about
how they use herbal medicines, most of us are NOT medical professionals
and we do NOT offer medical advice as a substitute for professional care.

Herbal medicine is not simply a matter of substituting an herbal product
for a modern pharmaceutical preparation.  It takes years to learn which
herbs are compatible with which other herbs and how they may interact or
cancel each other.

I suggest that you begin by getting a good general modern herbal
reference or two and studying them thoroughly.  One of my favorites is
The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Herbalism, edited by Malcom Stuart, New
York: Crescent Books, 1979.    The chapters are:  Introduction, History
of herbalism, Biology & chemistry of plants, Medicinal uses of plants,
Herbs in the kitchen, Domestic & cosmetic uses of herbs, Cultivation,
collection & preservation of herbs, Reference section, Glossary,
Conversion tables, Organizations, Bibliography, General index, Index of
plants, and Acknowledgements.  It is copiously illustrated with drawings,
color photos, and replicas of historic illustrations.  Reader's Digest
and Rodale Press also publish good general herbals.

That will at least give you enough information to allow you to ask
specific questions.

Hertha

Mistress Hertha Blair of Froggestow, OL, OP, etc
Kingdom of Calontir, SCA, Inc.

Roberta Comstock, Biologist