HERB - Chicory Water

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Thu Jun 10 09:41:34 PDT 1999

Chicory (Chicorium intybus) is a pretty common roadside weed throughout
much of Calontir (tapering off in western Kansas and Nebraska where there
is inadequate rainfall).  It is easily recognizeable because of its
bright blue flowers.  This is the same species as endive, although the
cultivated varieties are not nearly as tough as their roadside siblings.
I doubt if the roadside weeds would have roots as big as the ones grown
in a well cultivated garden.  They would also be contaminated by
automotive wastes and should therefore not be collected for human
consumption.  But you might be able to gather seeds from them to grow in
your garden.

_The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Herbalism_, edited by Malcom Stuart, New
York: Crescent Books, 1979, has a good write-up on chicory.  It
recommends using the varieties 'Magdeburg', 'Brunswick' and 'Witloof' for
roots to make coffee substitute.  Yes, they are roasted and ground.

I remember drinking chicory in the French Quarter of New Orleans nearly
30 years ago.  I suspect it is still available there already roasted and
ground, but it may have also been blended with coffee.  It is available
from my local herb shop at $1.10 an ounce for the most expensive grade.
Check herbalists and health food stores.

Hertha

ps-  The book says a blue dye can be made from the leaves, but I have not
heard of that before.  Hmm.  Maybe I'd better check that out.