HERB - harvesting and lilacs

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Thu Jun 10 16:19:54 PDT 1999

At 06:52 AM 6/10/99 -0600, Ya Samee'nah wrote:
>There is a bush which has a small clump of flowers on it like lilac that
>grows all over campus here. Can anyone tell me how to go about
>harvesting them for their smell? I've never done it before but I really
>like these and I think they'll bloom for a few more weeks.
>
>Also- All of the lilacs around here are very white and have little smell
>this year. Any thoughts as to why? I'm in Fargo, ND, almost four hours
>north of Minneapolis.

I think the best way to preserve the scent of an herb, fruit or flower is
to make a tincture or a vinegar from them.

I had a wonderful liliac cordial made by then King Rorick of Calontir once.
 I don't know how he did it for sure.  But other flower cordials are done
by picking the blossoms, wash them, spin them dry, and put them a glass
jar.  Cover by more than 1" with a good drinking vodka or rum and put a
piece of plastic wrap under the lid.  Place in a cool dark spot for two
weeks, shake frequently.  At the end, see how fragrant the tincture is, and
you may remove the spent flowers and add new ones until you run out of
flowers or the scent becomes strong enough.  Then you make a thick sugar
syrup and add the flower booze.

Add other flavors and adjust to taste.

To dry and preserve scent is harder.  Try to get the flowers very dry to
begin with.  Don't rinse after picking.  Dry out of heat and sun.  Try
hanging upside-down.

Good luck,
Baroness Leonora

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.