HERB - replacing lye in soap

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Mon Jun 14 06:57:30 PDT 1999

Caitlyn,

Avoidance of serious chemicals on the body is sometimes a good thing,
especially if you have environmental allergies. However, making soap
with lye doesn't mean that there is lye going on your skin. I don't know
how much you know about chemistry, but let me show you from a very
simple perspective how it works. (Please don't think I'm patronizing
anyone here. I'm just trying to make it very simple for people to
understand.)

Each "piece" of lye and each "piece" of fat has bits that stick out.
These pieces are called molecules. The bits that stick out are looking
for other places to stick to. Now, when you add lye to water to
make a solution, you make the parts of the lye stick out more so
they can find more places to attach themselves. What they're really
looking for are the parts sticking out from the fat.

Assuming you've used the right amounts of everything, that is,
the right amounts of water, lye, and fat, when every little piece
of lye finishes "mating" up with a matching piece of fat, there are
no more sticking out pieces of lye. You want a few sticking out
pieces of fat, though. That's what gives you a little moisturizing
in your soap.

So, when no more bits stick out from the lye, you have no more
lye. It's a completely changed substance. What you have with soap
is fat and soap. Your concern about using lye is probably a bit
of confusion over the chemistry of how the soap gets made. That
and I think there are some people who still have memories of
grandma's lye soap, when grandma was forced to make it in
areas where the control over the weights and quality of the
ingredients made soap making really little more than a crap shoot.

The lye you use is indeed the same stuff you use to clean your
drains IF (Big IF) you are using simple sodium hydroxide. Draino
and products like it are not just lye. Red Devil Drain Cleaner is
simple lye. If you're looking for alternate ingredients for soap
to replace your lye, well, there are plants you can use, but they
won't make the same "soap" you're used to.

If you really want to use a plant material, consider one called
Soapwort (in latin it's called Saponaria officinalis) which has
a relatively low toxicity rating and low occurence of allergic
reactions (each person is different, however, so YMMV). To
make a shampoo of sorts from soapwort, take 1 oz of dried
soapwort and about 1 to 1 1/2 pints of pure water. Boil the water
and pour it on the dried soapwort in an enamel pan (not
aluminum or cast iron). Soak the mix overnight. The next day,
bring mixture to a slow boil and simmer, covered for about
15-20 minutes. Remove it from the heat and store it, covered,
until it is cool enough to use. Strain before using.

I hope this helps. I can look up more plant info for you if
you're interested, but I think if the chemistry is understood
a little better, your fears about sodium hyrdroxide use might
be allayed.

Please do ask any questions you have about this. We have a ton
of really fantastic resources on this list and everyone is very
willing to help.

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba