HERB - asthma

Lynette K LaFontaine LKLC at prodigy.net
Mon Jun 28 15:20:44 PDT 1999

Please, be very careful if you have asthma.  I am a nurse in the mundane
world and though I use herbs extensively you must know they are not
necessarily benign.  First be aware licorice candy (in the USA) does not
have one bit of licorice in it.  Anise is the flavoring in candy today.  You
can get the real herb though, which is used in the US mainly  to flavor
tobacco, today.
Licorice is traditionally used in cough preparations, it soothes and loosens
phlegm.
Licorice has a terpene component, which has a structure similar to a
steroid.  As you know cortisone is used in asthma inhalers.  The component,
glycrrhizin stimulates the adrenal cortex and is useful in Addisons disease.
( adrenal insufficiency)  So we do have something that resembles the drugs
used to treat asthma.  However, I have never heard of any herb including
licorice used to treat asthma.
Please heed this warning.  Glycrrhizin increases salt and water
retention,causing dangerous side effects, including abnormal heart action
and kidney failure,  triggered by potassium depletion.  Licorice should be
avoided by anyone with any heart problems and those with high blood
pressure., kidney problems, obesity, pregnant women, and anyone taking
diuretics (which can enhance the potassium  depleting ).  Many people are
allergic to even small amounts of licorice.  Asthmatics are usually allergic
to many thing.  If you feel that you must experiment.  Talk this over with
your doctor.  Have your self tested for allergy first.  please don' t play
around on this one.
Toxicity has been reported from less than a gram of glycyrrhizin in chewing
tobacco.
Now since some of us seem to be on the subject of hair care Licorice is a
wonderful shampoo ingredient for oily hair.  as it suppresses secretion of
sebum for a week after shampooing.
My mom use henna as a rinse on our hair years ago.  (1950's)  We left it on
for about 3 minutes and then rinsed.  Lit let nice highlights.  Let me warn
you though not to use commercial dyes if you use henna.  Also henna is very
drying to hair.
Vinegar is not as strong smelling if laced with herbs or herb tea.  Also
cider vinegar is not as strong.  Mix with rosemary for a sheen to dark hair,
or use white, or white wine vinegar for light color hair with chamomile.  Or
better yet use lemon juice on light colored hair.  Avoid dark colored
vinegars on light colored hair or any dark colored herbs like rosemary.
Like Edwinna said hair loves acid.  Your comb glides though after.  Hair
shines.  Clears up dandruff too.
Try mayonnaise on your hair its like a oil treatment, protein treatment and
vinegar treatment all in one.  It's icky but works.
We used beer, as a rinse too.  makes hair shine gives body.
Try an egg, beaten and raw when you shampoo.  Adds body and oil.