HERB - baths

Lynette K LaFontaine LKLC at prodigy.net
Wed Jun 30 14:44:34 PDT 1999

Tis the season to itch and scratch.  Bugs, sun, poison oak, poison ivy, etc.
Doctors prescribe oatmeal baths.  (Usually in the expensive commercial form).
Try pulverizing in the blender first.  Or tie it in a little cheese cloth (or something similar) bag.  You can "dissolve" it directly in the tub, but you may not want all that goo in your bath water, especially when it comes to letting the water out.  What happens when it goes down the drain? Glue?
    One of my favorite baths is to use 1 full cup of powdered milk (1 cup of powder) or one envelope of powder.  either way you have the equivalent of about 1 quart of milk in you bath.  Leaves skin feeling heavenly.  (you know what I'm doing tonight)
If you want you can add 1 TBS. of oil directly to the powder.  (olive oil or any thing you are inclined to use)  Add a couple drops of essential oil or other fragrance.  Even cologne.  The put the container with this concoction under the running water and fill tub.  The oil gets, at least somewhat, homogenized by the milk protein.  So, It's not just floating on top.
    Be careful adding essential oils to bath.  They are very strong and some can cause serious burns.  Especially like cinnamon, and the other spices,  some herbs too.  Rosemary will wake you up, so don't use it before bed.  .
    I keep a bottle of rosemary in the fridg.  On those looong days with little or no sleep, it keeps me going.  I sniff (not snort).  It has a stimulating effect on the brain when inhaled.  Put a dab on like perfume to keep alert.  I can't wear fragrance in my work so I may be seen sniffing my little bottle.  Some day I'm going to get in trouble.
    Imagine, "Nurse see sniffing suspicious bottle in hospital cafeteria,  arrested.  Lab couldn't find any illegal substance in container.  Nurse now under close observation.  Seen snoozing behind wheel.  Claims it's because her little brow bottle was taken away by authorities.  admitted to Psyche. unit."