HERB - Re: Drinks for Jasmine

Christina magdlena at texas.net
Sun Mar 14 20:32:54 PST 1999

Bronwyn's Spiced Lemonade

4 lemons
honey
12 whole cloves
1/16 t ground cardamon

Boil 1 gallon water.  Halve the lemons, squeeze, and drop in peel and all.  Add
the cloves and cardamon.  Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and steep for ~20
min.  Strain.  Add honey to taste.  (Remember, this will get more sour as it
cools.)

I like this served hot or cold.

Bronwyn's Spiced Lemonade  (my way)

6 lemons
2 small oranges
~ 1 c sugar
12-20 whole cloves
1/16 t ground cardamon

Halve the lemons & oranges and squeeze using my electric citrus juicer.  If I'm
feeling fancy, zest the fruit.  Boil 1 gallon water.  Pour in juice and add the
cloves,cardamon, and zest .  Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and steep for ~20
min.  Strain if necessary.  Add sugar to taste.  (Remember, this will get more
sour as it cools.)

I use sugar instead of honey because my roommate doesn't like her drinks
sweetened with honey.  I really like this drink done either way.  Bronwyn's
original recipe has a more sour-sweet flavor with a definite bite from the pith
of the lemons.  This recipe also works well as a syrup to which you add water.
Start out with a few cups of water instead of a gallon.

It's only peripherally an herbal based drink, but I like it, so I thought that I
would share.  ;>

-Magdalena