HERB - Seeking Advice

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Sun Mar 14 20:50:24 PST 1999

At 10:07 PM 3/14/99 -0600, you wrote:

>Mary Temple wrote:
>
>> Be careful with clay pots - they dry out really bad here in Austin
>> during the summer. The past several summers that I've used clay pots I
>> had to water twice a day - the plastic pots only needed it once a day.
>
>I learned a new trick from Raisya last year.  Try putting a plastic tray
under
>your pots and keeping it filled with water as well as actually watering in
the
>pots.  They won't dry out as often.
>
>-Magdalena

If you prefer the look of clay pots - you can line them with plastic wrap
and fill them with potting soil.  Take a pencil and punch a single hole in
the bottom of the plastic wrap so the pot can drain.  I have some tiny
little square pots that I paid waaay too much for that killed every plant I
put in them from terminal
dry-i-tude-inosity.  Now that I have lined them, they work just fine.  Now
plants regularly out grow them!

I prefer the plastic pots for my green buddies that go outside in the
summer.  I generally group them by watering habits in  plastic flats
without drain holes.  Then rather than water them one by one, I just put
water into the flat.
Just make sure to drain them if you live a place where water *actually*
comes from the sky.
We here in Colorado have heard of such a thing.
We believe that you think that it is so.
We just have never seen it.
 ;-)

Baroness Leonora

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.