HERB - Five Favorite Books

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat May 1 11:39:06 PDT 1999

Ok, I went to my bookshelves, and specifically picked 5 of my favorite
books, that HADN'T been listed already.  (Cause I would be listing 'The
Herb Book' by John Lust, Mrs. Grieve's Herbals, Rodales Illustrated
Encyclopedia, Culpepper's, etc.)  But, the books below are really good, I
have used them and referred to them quite a lot, and have not been
mentioned as of yet.  So, here goes:

'Growing and Using the Healing Herbs' by Gaea and Shandor Weiss. Rodale
Press, copyrite 1985. Line drawings, sections on historical gardens,
European, American and Chinese herbals, and recipies, harvesting info,
and appendixes on types of preparations.  My all-time most requested
herbal preparation comes from this book, for a Stinging Insect Bite
Lotion.

'Simon and Schuster's Complete Guide to Plants and Flowers'  (my copy is
from 1975, and still in great shape).  Full color photos, planting,
growing, propagation, etc. info in an easy graph format.  A very handy,
not-quite-pocket-sized field guide.

'Chinese Herbal Remedies' by Albert Y Leung.  Universe Books, NY.1984.
Mine is a photocopy, but handy and indexed for info on many Chinese herbs
and practices.

and two for my most consistant clientele:

'The Herbal Book For The Dog' by Juliette de Bairacli-Levy. Van Reese
Press, NY, 1961.  I have used this one many times.  It is set up as a
breeder's book, and addresses problems in sections for Natural Puppy
Rearing, The Uses of Herbs in Canine Ailments, and General Herbal
Observations.  I had a bitch that had come into heat, been unsuccessfully
matched with an immature male, been mounted successfully by a neutered
male, come out of heat, been fixed, and then we brought a puppy home at
the right age for her to have been whelped by our older dog.  As a
result, she developed milk, and then mastitis.  A recipie from the book
involving lavender and honey successfully dried up her milk and solved
the problem.  I have used her recipies for other cures as well, and been
very happy.

'Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats' by
Richard H. Pitcairn, D.V.M., Ph.D. & Susan Hubble Picairn. Rodale Press,
1995.  My newest book in my veteranary collection, and very useful.  He
discusses many common ailments, treatments, surgery and nutrition.  He
has a graph of common pet food ingredients and their protein value vs.
cost per calorie.  I have not really read this one thoroughly yet, but I
will.

Christianna
who's sunflowers are very happy, having been sprouted, and then planted
right before we had 6 days of gentle misting rain.  Heaven for plants!