HERB - Re: Rose Beads

Joan Nicholson gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
Thu May 6 18:30:09 PDT 1999

Christianna wrote:
>So, my question is, why is black the desired color?  I would think
>retaining the redness would be preferable.  Maybe the idea was to imitate
>Jet Jewelry that was so popular when this recipie was written?
>Christianna

At the Monastery of Christ in the Desert <christdesert.org>, they sell a
lovely rose bead rosary that is a deep rich red in color.  So, possibly,
red is an option.  I'm not an herbal historian, but I had the impression
that the name rosary came from the rose beads, anyone know for certain?
Also, I wonder if the black color could be a hold-over from the pre-steel
and aluminum pot era?

Prydwen

gryphon at carlsbadnm.com