HERB - bug repellent

RoseThstle@aol.com RoseThstle at aol.com
Sat May 15 15:27:29 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/15/99 4:22:57 PM EST, spiritst at prairie.NoDak.edu writes:

<< Does anyone know where I could start reading about how to mix something
 like this? I would assume that it's a little different than mixing
 perfume. Also, any recs on good plants. I know I have some written
 earmarked in one of my herb books, but are there any that someone swears
 by? >>

There are two herbs that I know of, and I'll bet our readers can supply more,
but the ones I'm most aware of is Centronella (sp?) pronounced Scentra-nella
and tabacco.

Let me get into the tabacco.   Before our forefathers came to America and
taught the native to smoke the stuff, the natives used the leaves to rub on
their skin for repellant.  (that tells one what one's smoking) But I really
don't know if you can find tabacco leaves undried and make a tincture from it.

As far as the afore mentioned, it's pretty popular and can be found in any
health food store.

Also Rosemary when laid on hot coals will create kinda like a smoky barrier..
like those coils one can burn..

I hope this helps

Caitlin