HERB - My next project

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at cactus.verinet.com
Sat May 22 13:14:45 PDT 1999

Greetings!

At the Northshield event last weekend, I did a "Useful Herbs Gathered from
Site" exhibit and it was well received.  But the winner of the event (and
very justly) was a wonderful Arabic book of poetry.  As I was drooling over
that book - carefully so as to not dampen the pages - I got to thinking
about doing an herbal.  Then I did more thinking about it.

What I want to do is to write the herbal that my persona would have used
(except I will write it in English not Provencal or Arabic).  My persona
history is a Provencal woman hears Abbe Benard and signs up for the Second
Crusade.  She rides with Eleanor but is left in this little Arabic town
with a lot of other Crusaders.  There is where she learns her herbalism.

So I am thinking of maybe making the paper (maybe).  But making the book,
doing the C&I with period Arabic inks and things, and having a dried
pressed example of the herb or a painting (I am not sure what is more
period for Arabic herbals).

So my question is: is there an available Arabic herbal that would have been
in use in the later part of the 12th Century?

I am thinking that I will have some Arabic information - such that I would
have needed to go into an Apothacary to order the herb - but have the use
and cultivation info in English.  Right now I am thinking of doing from 15
to 25 herbs total with a page or two of information and a page of
illustration.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Baroness Leonora

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.