HERB - My next project

Kathleen Keeler kkeeler at unlserve.unl.edu
Mon May 24 06:33:31 PDT 1999

Baroness Leonora wrote:

> What I want to do is to write the herbal that my persona would have used
> (except I will write it in English not Provencal or Arabic).

> So my question is: is there an available Arabic herbal that would have been
> in use in the later part of the 12th Century?

I don't know about "available"
but
The one that comes to mind is the Tacunium Sanitatis.  The 5 extant European
versions are
based on an Arab work from about 1000.  This is a health manual advising about
exercise and
and general good health practices.  It was lavishly illustrated.

Alternatively, you could work with Dioscorides (also not very available) but
something
the Arabs copied and recopied and that they had more available than Europeans.
Or any other
classical work.

Everything I have here has a modern or western bias--I'll look at home.

Agnes
kkeeler1 at unl.edu