HERB - Poison Ivy & Its Ilk

Ted Kubricht tok at flash.net
Wed May 26 00:09:32 PDT 1999

Greetings Rhiannon,

Jewelweed is a great preventative/cure for poison ivy, I've tried it and it
works.   Wild jewelweed is a rather fleshy stemmed plant with beautiful
bright orange flowers shaped kinda like a columbine's.   The leaves shed
water, so when you immerse it for washing they look very silvery and sparkly
through the water, hence the name.   I haven't seen it growing down south
here in Ansteorra, but I've seen plenty of it at Pennsic War (where I gather
it) growing near the drainage ditches on site.   It can be kept by boiling
down the stems and leaves on the day it is gathered, then freezing the
resulting orange liquid in an ice cube tray.   The cubes can be stored for a
year or so in the freezer and feel great when rubbed on the inflicted area.
You can also throw a few in a bathtub full of water for a bath after a
suspected exposure to prevent breaking out.   Jewelweed works best when
applied directly after exposure, but later is better than never.

Vaclav

>there is a bright orange blossoming plant that grows alongside the ivy
and
>its juice is an antidote.

Has anyone heard of this?

Rhiannon
Still breaking out and thinking maybe I'll give in and call the Doc.