HERB - "New to me" book and grasshoppers

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Sat May 29 11:01:24 PDT 1999

Leonora,

Yes, that's a dandy little book.  If I remember right, it's  Dover
pub;lication and very reasonably priced.  Pleasant reading, too.

On the grasshopper problem - I'm not sure what you have in your area in
the way of toads and turtles, but both of those can be helpgul in
gobbling up insects.  The downside to turtles is that they also like to
munch on vegetation, especially strawberries and tomatoes.  Do you know
any young boys in the neighborhood?  They tend to be good toad catchers.
If you can provide a small water source and a bit of shelter, you may be
able to get some toads to stick around.  I don't know whether
grasshoppers are attracted to electic bug-zappers, but that would be a
non-toxic thing to try.  You might have to put it near the ground.  Just
a thought.

See you at Lillies!

Hertha

ps - did you get the post about the wedding shower for their Excellencies
 Luther and Lenore which will take place at the war?

Hertha